Number of participants as of Nov 5th: 10 authors willing to write 24 stories (a few participants decided to write more than one drabble). WE'RE GOING TO HAVE AN ADVENT CALENDAR THIS YEAR!
Don't you love Christmas? I do! To celebrate Christmas, AFF is bringing you the... AFF Advent Calendar 2014!
What's an Advent calendar?
An Advent calendar is a special calendar used to count down the first 24 days of December. It has 24 "windows", one for each day of December leading up to Christmas day. One window is opened every day to reveal a little treat (toy, chocolate, etc.)
What's the AFF Advent Calendar 2014?
The AFF Advent Calendar 2014 is OUR calendar used to count down the first 24 days of December. One window is opened every day to reveal a new drabble! (The gray image will be colored and linked to the new story.)
The AFF Advent Calendar is ANONYMOUS because each story will be posted anonymously under the penname "Anonymous Author" until the official reveal on December 25th.
|Oct 28 - Nov 3||Signing up|
|Oct 28 - Nov 29||Writing|
|Nov 29||Submitting (assignments due) OR a different deadline according to your situation (you must let me know)|
|Dec 1 - Dec 24||Validating a new story each day|
|Dec 25||Revealing the participants|
There are 24 spots. If we don't have enough participants, this will be canceled unfortunately.
- To become a participant, you must be an AFF writer (you have at least one approved story).
- Your story must be a drabble of exactly 100 words. Last year, you were able to choose the story type. However this year you all have to write a drabble of 100 words. The reasons are as follows:
- We have limited time available.
- Writing a story of 100 words is an interesting challenge because it tests the writer's ability to express an idea (setting, one or more characters, thoughts, conflict, etc.) in 100 words.
- Most people enjoy reading drabbles because it's short and concise. Most people have time to read a short story of 100 words while going to work or before going to bed. Thus, more people will be able to participate in the Advent Calendar Guessing Game.
- Each of you is assigned to a random word. You must include that word at least once in your story (Make the narrator or one of your characters say it. No, your plot doesn't have to revolve around that word. I just want you to mention it once.). Your word is related to an image on the calendar. For example, if your word is reindeer, your story will be validated on December 22th.
- This is an anonymous activity and I'd like to keep it anonymous until December 25th. Please do NOT post your story elsewhere until the reveal. Do not tell anyone other than your beta-reader the content of your story, nor what your word/image is.
- Although the activity is anonymous, your penname will be made public. I'll post a list of participants in the site news so it's easier for people to guess who the anonymous authors are when they play the Advent Calendar Guessing Game.
- Please mention "Papa Noel" when you sign up (I want to make sure you've read the rules). If you don't mention it, your participation will NOT be approved.
Scheduling Conflict with NaNoWriMo or real life
I know that some of you will be participating in NaNoWriMo or having final exams in December (or anything else that is important in your life). If this is your case, please let me know. You'll be able to submit your story for the AFF Advent Calendar much later according to your personal schedule in real life.
If you finish your story early, you may submit it to AFF anytime.
Deadline for submitting your story: November 29th OR
a different deadline according to your situation (you must let me know)
I'll move all the stories to the account of "Anonymous Author" and validate a new story each day of December. You will know beforehand when your story will be validated because the word I'll give you represents one of the images/spots on the calendar.
On December 25th, I'll move each story back to the account of the participant.
Why are there no prompts like the anniversary fest?
For the AFF Advent Calendar, it's not necessary to use prompts from other people. You may use your own ideas. If you need a prompt, you may use the random word I'll give you or one of the fest prompts here
. You may only choose a prompt that isn't taken yet. If you're going to use one of the fest prompts, please let me know so I can mark it as taken.
Still interested? Sign up!
Step 1. You must be logged in.
Step 2. Make sure you've read the rules mentioned above and step 1.
Step 3. Please fill out the form here
You will earn:
The Writer Badge
: given to authors who have written one (1) drabble for the advent calendar.
What are badges?
Badges are small images that are shown in your AFF user profile under the tab "Badges". One of our lovely graphic designers, Anna Clair, creates badges for us. =)
: The idea of the Advent calendar was inspired by the Dramione Advent Calendar.
posted by Admin on Oct 28, 2014 10:25 PM
| 0 Comments